- Removed/limbed several trees in the backyard
- Put up a fence (~500 linear feet total- sides are wood privacy, back is chain link)
- Replaced appliances- since April we've put in a new stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave and washer/dryer. It's amazing what you'll tolerate in a rental but can't stand in your own home. Everything was old (some 21 years old!) and got recycled.
- Installed a new heating/cooling system- this was also 21 years old and about to kick the bucket
- Painted EVERY room in the house except one (we're thinking this might one day be a nursery, so we're saving the painting until we're ready for that...right now the cats are the only ones enjoying that room and they don't seem to care about the color). We should have bought stock in painters tape! This was a lot of work but it freshened up everything really nicely.
- Replaced light fixtures inside and out
- Replaced outlets, switches and covers (from almond to white) and door hardware (from brass to brushed nickle). Let me tell you- that's probably the cheapest, easiest way to update your house. It makes quite a difference!
- Replaced bathroom countertops in both bathrooms (ummm, can you say fugly white laminate that was peeling up from the plywood underneath?? shudder...)
- Replaced the downstairs bathroom floor. This was an adventure- we discovered part of the subfloor was rotten and so out it went. Peeling up laminate flooring is a job and a half...let's just say we won't be doing that again- any other new flooring goes right over the top!
For now I'll leave you with some before and afters of the house, because everyone loves a good before and after photo shoot! Enjoy...
|Kitchen when we moved in- old stove, fridge, dishwasher, microwave and light fixtures|
|Dining room, adjacent to the kitchen. Old owner's furnishings and paint|
|Kitchen as it looks today (except microwave and dishwasher are now updated as well). New light fixtures, paint and appliances.|
|Dining room- we flipped the light fixture and changed the paint. There are now curtains up as well|
|Office before- just off the dining room|
|Office after- new paint only. This room needs a new ceiling fan as well, but we'll get there eventually.|
|Downstairs guest bedroom before (Jack and Jill bathroom in between guest room and office- this was the bathroom with the rotten floor. No finished pics of that yet...)|
|Downstairs guest room after (this is technically the master bedroom but we put the master upstairs). I also have a vinyl graphic up in this room- I'm a big fan of the vinyl graphics and will try to do a post on that soon|
|Upstairs bedroom which we are using as a master bedroom|
|Upstairs master after|
|Upstairs bathroom before|
|Upstairs bathroom after- new paint and counter tops.|
|Laundry room before|
|Laundry room after- notice the vinyl graphic. Love it!|
|Living room before (as seen from front door)|
|Living room again, looking in from kitchen|
|Living room after (see the coffee table??)...I have a better after photo somewhere that has pictures on the wall and the chairs in a little different position...|
|Living room after- SO much better! Hard to see in this photo, but the coffee table has new decorations and the door pulls are now brushed nickle instead of brass (remembering WAY back to my 2nd post...)|